 |
| Our silly boy |
What a week last week was! Thanks to Labor Day on Monday, it was another “4-day work week,” which I’ve said before isn’t an accurate term at all for a full-time mom. Plus I feel like these so-called “short” weeks always seem much longer, no matter what job you have. This week was no exception.
 |
| Cheering for the Bulldogs (even though it didn't help get us a win) |
The weekend kept us very busy with us with 3 separate cookouts and a trip to Monkey Joe’s. Not to mention, watching the first Georgia Bulldogs football game of the season on Saturday night (not a success. at all). On Saturday, we had one of Brian’s business associates come over and grilled out at our house (cookout #1). Dominic sported his “game day” outfit for the occasion and actually seemed pretty interested in the game for the short time he could watch before his bedtime. Obviously, we’re trying to mold Dominic into a future Georgia Bulldog! For all of those non-fans out there, just a friendly reminder: HOPE Scholarship. ;)
 |
| Typical boy...already a dedicated fan, watching the game closely |
 |
| watching the game with Daddy |
 |
| My little Bulldog and me during the game |
On Sunday morning, Brian and I took Dominic back to Monkey Joe’s for the 2nd time (thanks to a Living Social deal that we bought back in February for the warehouse full of inflatable slides and bounce houses and are still using the voucher for). Dominic absolutely LOVED it this time. He was shy and hesitant at first - something that I’ve realized is just normal for him at this point - but warmed up quickly once Brian started taking him on the huge slides. Then Brian even sent Dominic down the slides by himself, without giving me warning, and made me almost have a heart attack right then and there (video below). Dominic loved it though! The kid is obsessed with slides these days. Such a daredevil.
 |
| Loving the slide |
 |
| Having so much fun! |
 |
| Our monkey at Monkey Joe's |
Our weekend continued to be busy with lots more family time. These holidays really make Brian and I feel like kids of divorced parents because we end up splitting the holidays between both families. We’re very lucky to have both families live so close by especially now with a child/children, but it can be very exhausting (especially when you’re 7 months pregnant and have a toddler). On Sunday evening we went to my parents’ house for a cookout with them and my brother Chris and his girlfriend Carrie (cookout #2). Dominic was in a very bad mood but ended up being very friendly to my family’s dog Lacey for the first time ever, which was amazing to witness. He usually smiles at her but is extremely timid and cries any time she barks. Dominic, however, initiated lots of petting this time and was very gentle with her…out of the blue. It was wonderful to see!
 |
| giving Lacey some love |
 |
petting Lacey so nicely
|
 |
| going down Nonna and Papa's playhouse slide |
Then on Monday Brian, Dominic, Brian’s dad, and I drove out to Douglasville (close to an hour away) to visit Brian’s grandmother/Dominic’s great-grandmother at her home there. We just don’t get to see her enough, so it was wonderful to get to see her. However, the car ride there was VERY difficult on me. I sat in the backseat next to Dominic’s car seat, and let’s just say tight spaces for long periods of time and pregnant women aren’t a good combo. Dominic was great on the car ride (thank you, portable DVD player) though. After visiting with Dominic’s Great-Grandma, we went to Brian’s parents’ house for a cookout with Brian’s parents and sister Katie (cookout #3). Thankfully, Brian and I love cookouts and spending time with our families, so it made for a busy but fun-filled weekend!
 |
| Great-Grandma, Dominic, and me |
 |
| 4 generations of Mortons (Dominic with his great-grandmother, grandpa, and dad) |
Our week continued to be crazy as well. Dominic woke up in the middle of the night almost every night this week, and his sleep has generally been “off” this week – and therefore so has his behavior. At first I thought it was his teeth, but it ended up being his 1st cold of the season (hooray). The lack of sleep and behavior made for an exhausting week for me.
Dominic and I went to our first mommy and m music class on Wednesday morning. It’s called Music with Mummy – it’s taught by a British lady. The time of the class is a little on the early side for us (9:30) but luckily the class is only a mile away. Dominic woke up the night before and therefore was in a bad mood to begin with. That mixed with his shyness/weariness of new places made for a rough first class. I could tell though that he actually was very interested in the class. He loves music after all. Hopefully, next time the sleep will be back in order and the class will be more familiar to him.
 |
| Loving the slide and the cooler weather at Brook Run! |
On Thursday, we took advantage of the good weather, cool and sunny, and went to the park. Dominic loved it! We’ve missed going to the park because it’s been so hot out, so it’s exciting to finally go back and not be sweating and uncomfortable. Thursday afternoon Brian left on a business trip to Washington DC. This was the first time that Dominic and I stayed at our house alone without “Daddy” overnight.
 |
| The morning of his first day of school, looking happy a we got ready even with a 6:30 wake up. |
 |
| wearing his backpack, all ready for school!! |
 |
| walking into school! |
 |
| Okay, actually crawling up the steps to school |
 |
| outside of school with me (the only way we could keep him still for the picture)...this is before the tears - for both of us |
Then Friday was Dominic’s 1st day of Parents’ Morning Out! I was extremely nervous and excited and ended up not getting much sleep the night before as a result. Dominic woke up at 6:30 – way earlier than needed, so I already knew that things were probably not going to go well. Stephanie came along with Dominic and me to the school to drop him off and serve as our photographer for the momentous occasion. J This was the first time Dominic has ever been left with people he didn’t know.
As soon as I handed him over to the teacher, he started fussing, and I tried to get out of there as quickly as possible. Being pregnant and hormonal did not work in my favor in this situation, and I was a mess, crying like a baby myself. Steph and I waited outside in the parking lot for a little bit to make sure I didn’t get called back (what they do if he cries for half an hour). They didn’t call, so we went on our way. I had a free reservation at Chick-fil-a for a free breakfast, so I got that and went to get my eye brows done – something that I never can do without waiting till the weekend because I can’t take Dominic. It was wonderful!
Then as I was walking out to my car to go back to the school to pick up Dominic, I got a call from the school to come pick him up. By the time I got there, it was actually time to pick him up anyway. Dominic was crying when I walked in the door and had apparently just wanted to be held the whole day. The teacher brought up the idea about Dominic doing 2 days a week to me again, and Dominic and I played in the classroom as the rest of the kids left. This was an attempt to get him used to the classroom and all.
 |
playing at his school playground - ironic considering his tshirt - over the weekend to help him get acclimated
(plus we love the toddler playground there) |
I basically decided at that point that Dominic and I are way too attached to each other. We both need our independent time even though I love him and love spending time with him more than anything else in the world. He needs to get used to spending time away from me, and the 2 days a week would be more appropriate for him. I think he’ll get acclimated more easily this way. I waited to discuss it with Brian when he got home from DC that night and then let the teacher know. Beginning next week, Dominic will be going to PMO twice a week – on Wednesdays and Fridays! I think this will be great for both of us but especially Dominic.
Upon getting him home after “school,” Dominic ended up coming down with a cold and had a fever later in the evening. I’m sure this made his first day of school even harder for him, but I was relieved to know there was a reason for his crazy sleep and behavior this week. It seems like he has been fighting off this cold for almost a week now, which is encouraging that his immune system was able to fight it off at all (as opposed to last year). Time to go back on his Culturelle for the remainder of cold season though to help his little immune system. Being home alone with Dominic when he was sick like this without Brian coming home to help out was absolutely exhausting both physically and mentally, considering how tired, whiny, and sleepless/napless Dominic gets when he's sick. Thank God, Brian returned home Friday night to help. Hopefully, next week will go better for Dominic, and he’ll start feeling better too!
 |
| Happily washing his hands! |
Dominic keeps talking more and more. Currently, his favorite thing to say is "hello" as he picks up his various play phones and puts them up to his ear. He also has started saying "fan," finally getting that "f" sound. His second favorite activity these days is washing his hands. He loves it, and most of all he loves when he has the foam soap on his hands clapping them together, getting soap everywhere.
 |
| Yay for my 3rd trimester! |
On the pregnancy front, I’m officially in my 3rd trimester!!! Fewer than 3 months to go until we meet BCM! On Thursday, I had my glucose test at my obgyn and got to hear BCM’s heartbeat. The glucose test wasn’t as bad as I remember it, but I’m hoping and praying that I passed it and don’t have to go on to take the 3-hour test like I had to do when I was pregnant with Dominic – or worse that I end up being diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. Please pray and keep your fingers crossed for me.
I’m feeling huge these days, and my sleep is really suffering. Having a sick toddler waking up at all hours of the night isn’t helping with that, but I’m trying to get naps as much as possible. BCM is kicking and moving like crazy these days, and I love it! He even has kicked or kneed Dominic once or twice when he's been sitting squeezing onto my lap. Something tells me that won’t be the last time that these brothers will be kneeing each other!
No comments:
Post a Comment