 |
| The Birthday Boy! |
I can’t believe it, but my baby boy is officially a year old! He had a great first birthday despite the fact that he had been sick with a cold and sinus infection. The sinus infection required Dominic to go back on antibiotics after just getting off of them about 3 weeks before. This was yet another cold, this time from a playgroup friend. I can’t even imagine how miserable Dominic would be (as would I) if he was in daycare because he would be sick even more. I’m hoping that Dominic will be healthier once it gets warmer out, cold season is over for the year, and he moves out of this putting everything in his mouth stage. Thankfully, Dominic had fully recovered from his cold and sinus infection and was snot-free by his birthday.
 |
| Having fun with Daddy at Monkey Joe's |
Brian took the day off from work to celebrate with Dominic and me. We took him to Monkey Joe’s, an inflatable indoor playground in Roswell. I think that Brian and I had more fun than Dominic. He was very hesitant at first, as he often is with new things and places, but he ended up having a lot of fun there crawling around and climbing all over the place.
 |
| Climbing = fun |
That evening we made pizza for dinner since pizza is Dominic’s favorite food. Unfortunately, we made whole wheat pizza in an effort to be healthier, but that crust was harder for Dominic to chew. Then we gave him a piece of chocolate birthday cake. It was the first birthday cake I’ve ever baked for anyone, and I have to say it was pretty tasty. Watching Dominic eat the cake and make a mess was hilarious. He of course needed a bath directly after that event. After such a fun and exhausting day, Dominic slept very well that night.
 |
| Homemade chocolate birthday cake is delicious but messy :) |
On Saturday, we had Dominic’s party. I had been stalking weather.com because more people RSVP’d yes than we had expected, and I was hoping that we could use the deck and backyard for guest overflow. This was something I worried about for months since it was winter. Brian and I considered renting or buying a heater and/or using the garage…well, we didn’t need that heater to say the least! It was 70 degrees and perfectly sunny. Who knew this could happen in February? We were so lucky because we had over 40 adults plus 14 kids. It was a madhouse to say the least.
 |
| Having fun at his birthday party |
The single/non-parents seemed completely terrified at the sight and sound of all of these babies crawling and running around the family room of our house. We had appetizers for adults at the dining room table and then snacks for kids (goldfish, cheerios, and graham crackers) at the kitchen table. There was a string Curious George piñata that was filled with Puffs. We decided not to open gifts with that many people there.
 |
| His Curious George birthday cake at the party |
Dominic LOVED playing with all of his friends at the party. Seriously, I’ve never seen the kid so happy. He was crawling around everywhere with a huge smile on his face. By the time the cake eating happened (which we did on the deck), it was Dominic’s naptime, so he wasn’t in the most cheerful mood. He barely touched his smash cake – except for when I put his hand in the cake myself. At one point, all of the eyes on him and all of the laughter caused Dominic to start crying. Poor boy.
 |
| A bit disinterested in the birthday cake |
Another snafu…the party favors. I thought I bought goody bags but couldn’t find them the day of. I had to make do with party blowers to hold the Curious George bubbles and Curious George sunglasses, but I wasn’t able to put Puffs or Cheerios in them as previously planned. The flow of the party was a little weird for Brian and me because so many different circles of friends came together. We had our families, our single friends, our Moms Club playgroup friends, our regular playgroup friends, and then some miscellaneous friends who each didn’t really know anyone else. That just added to the craziness.
 |
| Our happy family :) |
Overall though, we REALLY lucked out with the weather and everything went well. I just can’t believe that this first year went by so fast. It really has been the best year of my life, getting to spend it with the most wonderful baby boy in the world. I wonder if the fact that this year flew by so quickly that the next year will go by just as fast and we’ll be celebrating Dominic’s 2nd (wow, 2nd!) birthday way too soon. Anyway, Happy 1st Birthday, Dominic!!
 |
| A very happy 1st birthday |
No comments:
Post a Comment