| Already fighting over their toys |
The big news last week was that Dominic sat on the potty and (drum roll) peed!! Before Dominic’s bath I sat him on the potty as I’m trying to start this as a quick part of his bath/bedtime routine. One great thing about boys is that you can tell when they are about to urinate, so I saw the “indication” which encouraged me to have him sit a little longer. We sat and read 2 of his potty books a couple of times each, and when he got up, we saw that he had peed in his potty! We gave lots of praise but since we were unprepared for this random occurrence, Brian and I did not give him candy or stickers. We tried it again the next night - as we had gone out and bought some M&Ms for him, but it didn’t work. Brian attempted to give Dominic an M&M to reward him for sitting for so long on the potty, but Dominic promptly spit it out. This was the first time he’s ever eaten an M&M - or any other kind of candy for that matter - and apparently he doesn’t like them. How crazy considering how much I love M&Ms. Dominic hasn’t peed on the potty any more but he has pooped 3 times since then. Although Dominic doesn’t verbally tell me when he has to go #2, I almost always know by his face. Let’s just say, he’s very expressive with it. The first time it happened, we were over at my parents’ house while our house was fumigated, and as my mom and I were playing with Dominic, it was apparent that he was trying to poop. We quickly took him to the toilet. Thankfully, my mom had a little Elmo seat to put on top of the toilet (for my niece), so he could sit comfortably without falling in. Before we knew it, Dominic had pooped. This time we gave him a Snickers that my mom luckily had. He ate a couple of bites and then dropped it on the ground. He was much more responsive to us cheering for him. He pooped in the toilet again at our house a couple of other times since then too!
| Sitting on the potty...hanging out with his lil bro |
| So happy to be looking forward! |
| Playing together |
| Choo Choo! Dominic playing at the park. |
| Fun on the slide! |
| Jumping at Catch Air! |
| Dominic jumping on our neighbor's new trampoline. He's begging us for one now. |
| Blake, getting so big! |
| Baby and Mommy |
Meanwhile, Blake is growing up too! My 2 month old (almost 9-weeks) has grown out of many of his 3 month clothes and is on to 6 month clothes now. I feel like I keep having to clean out his chest of drawers and closet, taking out the clothes that are too small for him and refilling it with bigger ones that will only fit before I have to do it all again in another week or two. He didn't even get to wear some of his clothes because he grew out of them too quickly. :(
| The happiest baby I know. |
Blake is sleeping amazing well now. After he slept for 8 hours during his growth spurts and then - unfortunately - returned to 5-6 hour durations quickly, we began to implement the “Cry It Out” Method. Since we knew he physically could last 8 hours between feedings, when he woke up after 5 or 6 hours, we closed his door and ours and let him cry it out. He would cry for about 20 minutes (20 torturous minutes) and then fall back asleep. After 2 or 3 nights of this, Blake officially sleeps 8 hours at a time at night. Currently, we put him to bed around 9:30 or 10:00. Then we feed him at 12:00 or 1:00 before we go to bed (preemptively) and he doesn’t wake up again till 8:00 or 9:00 in the morning. It’s wonderful although staying up to feed him passed midnight and then waking up before the boys get up so I can get a shower in the morning only ends up giving me about 6 or 7 hours of sleep. We’re going to start moving the “preemptive feeding” earlier and earlier till it’s merged into 1 feeding at 9:30 or 10:00. This would mean he sleeps from around 10:00pm until 8:00am. I can’t wait for that!
At this point, Blake is getting stronger and stronger. He’s holding his neck up very well. When he’s upset, he (very impressively) stands himself up holding on to us. His reflux and gas issues had improved for a couple of weeks, but the last several days he has been miserable in the afternoon and especially in the evening. Blake is still learning to soothe himself, something that I remember Dominic being able to do more easily by this age, but I think it will come with time. Blake is on a very regular feeding schedule at this point although the naps are still a little irregular especially as we attend Dominic’s activities. I’m learning to juggle OUR schedule, and it’s definitely getting much easier as I’m learning to do more and more things with one hand. The trickiest parts of the day are definitely meal times, but I think they're going more easily and efficiently every day. Here’s what our daily schedule looks like (not including "school days":
8:15 - Dominic and Blake wake up, eat breakfast, and get dressed
10:15 - Dominic’s activity of the day/Blake Naps in his car seat carrier
12:15 - Dominic and I eat lunch/Blake eats
1:00 - Nap time (for all 3 of us if I'm lucky)
3:00 - Dominic plays/Blake eats
4:00 - Blake naps
6:00 - Blake eats
6:30 - We eat dinner/Blake’s short nap
7:30 - Bath time and Dominic gets ready for bed
7:45 - Read to the boys
8:00 - Dominic’s Bed time
9:00 - Blake eats
10:00 - Blake’s Bedtime
12:00 - Blake’s "preemptive" feeding
12:30 - Blake goes back to bed and Brian and I go to bed too
It's pretty crazy, right?
| My boys and me |
I'm doing pretty well too, depending on the day. One day I'll feel like I have a good handle on things and am doing well with all of the craziness, but then the next day I become completely overwhelmed, like I'm drowning in the chaos. The harder days seem to come when Dominic has a bad day or Blake is having a lot of reflux issues. Conversely, if Dominic has a good day (few tantrums, little whining) and Blake does too (which honestly is most days), then the day is usually a success. The less time we spend at home having "down-time" and being on a good routine have been the two things that have helped me the most. Last week I did cook dinner almost every night, which was a big success for me. Hopefully, we'll keep having more and more "good days" coming up!
| Daddy reading to both boys (Dominic wanted to lay on the floor with Blake) |
| Dominic is such a sweet helper, trying to make his Blakey feel better. |
| the best brothers ever! |
No comments:
Post a Comment