Thursday, October 13, 2011

Fall Family Weekend

We had a fun-filled but busy fall family weekend!  This included going to the zoo and the park on Saturday and then up to a farm/corn maze on Sunday.  It was a lot for one weekend, but we had so much fun!  Originally, the zoo and corn maze were supposed to be done on 2 different weekends, but unfortunately having the plague the weekend before pushed the corn maze to this weekend. To make up for the lack of pictures from my last entry, I've certainly made up for it here! :)  

Just the 3 of us (plus BCM in my very large belly) in front of the orangutans 

This was our second trip to the zoo as a family.  Our first/Dominic’s 1st zoo trip was over the summer, but we weren’t able to stay long enough to see everything we wanted considering we were lugging a toddler around.  Then we were able to get a couple of Groupons to go back to the zoo again recently and expire in December.  If you read this blog weekly you may have noticed that I’m a little too into these Groupons these days.  It’s getting a little out of hand, so I’ve decided to hold off on buying any (well, many) more of these until after the baby is born.  Having to use them by their due dates is becoming a stress-inducing feat for Brian and me especially since our schedule is becoming fuller and fuller the closer we get to BCM's due date.  

Enjoying looking at the animals with Daddy


The whole group - Dominic, Papa, me, Brian, and Nonna...Dominic always looks miserable in group shots :(


Anyway, for this trip to the zoo, Brian and I invited our families to come along.  My parents (aka Nonna and Papa) came along with us, but Brian’s couldn't make the trip.  It’s always fun to have a big group for these kind of activities, but then again I also end up feeling badly when Dominic and his schedule dictate how the day goes - something that is unavoidable with a toddler.  I don’t have control over his schedule (no one does), but if Dominic doesn’t get his nap when he needs it or eat when he’s hungry, there is absolute hell to pay.  The zoo opened at 9:30, which was when we planned to get there, but because we ran late (of course), we ended up arriving around 10:00.  Dominic naps at 1:00, so we hoped to give Dominic his lunch at the zoo close to noon and then leave by around 12:30 to get home by around 1:00.  


Having fun riding in his buggy.  Next time, I need to ride in one! 
Dominic rode around in his buggy this time instead of his stroller.  Brian and I decided to to do this because he LOVES riding around in his buggy but after riding around in the stroller for a bit, he typically gets pretty sick of it and wants out.  Dominic ended up riding in the buggy for most of the morning and was able to get out more easily to see the animals than he was on the last trip with the stroller.  
Fascinated with his favorite animal, the lemurs! 
Pointing at the monkeys - a hit with D. yet again

Trying to get a picture in front of the pandas but Dominic was a little distracted.


Giving mommy kisses by the pandas instead of posing for the picture, but that's fine with me. :)

Looking suspiciously at the lions
Although he was a big fan of the monkeys once again (his favorite last time), Dominic’s favorite animal at the zoo this time were the lemurs.  I think they really caught his attention because they were moving around, climbing the trees, and swinging around. He also seemed to like the lions again and the pandas, which were my personal favorite too.  


"Whoa!"  I love this little boy!
All of that walking around at the zoo really tired me out and I was getting Braxton Hicks contractions because of it.  When everyone else went into the Reptile House, I sat outside, took a rest, and had a snack, which really helped me out.  I also had to stop to go to the bathroom a couple of times during the trip.  Note to pregnant women: the zoo has some pretty gross bathrooms.  All in all, I was pleasantly surprised that Dominic and I both made it through the whole morning at the zoo.


Father and son walking in the park together. 

happy boy playing on the "big kid" play set at Brook Run!

Trying out the big slide!

Sliding with Daddy

Trying it by himself (this didn't end well!)
My happy boys :)

That afternoon Brian, Dominic, and I continued our family time together by going to the park since the weather was so nice out.  The park was pretty crowded, but it was a lot of fun.  Dominic didn’t even look at the toddler parts of the park and instead went straight to the “big kid” areas - specifically loving the big slides.  He would climb up to the top, look down excitedly, and then turn back around, but if we gave him some encouragement he ended up going down these big slides and LOVING them.  One slide in particular he had some problems on where he ended up being so small that he spun around at the bottom and hurt himself.  There were big tears for about a minute and then he proceeded to want to slide back down the slide again.  He’s a brave kid apparently.


at Cagle's Dairy 
After our tiring trip through the corn maze 

The next morning I tutored early and then Brian, Dominic, and I headed up to Canton to Cagle’s Dairy Farm.  Our plan was to explore the corn maze, go on a hayride, get some cute pumpkin patch pictures, and visit the petting zoo, but we got there late and Dominic got a little crazy at the end after waiting too long for our turn to go on the hayride.  We ended up missing out on the hayride and not being able to take any pictures of him with the pumpkins.  Before that though, Dominic had a ball as did Brian and I especially in the corn mazes.  Dominic loved running around in there and being carried around once he got tired.  It was pretty exhausting for me too...I was beginning to wonder if we'd ever get out of there and if I was going to end up giving birth to BCM in there with my Braxton-Hicks contractions happening.



running around the corn maze


Having so much fun in the corn maze!

My little man and me :)

Couldn't have been happier

Of course he loved riding on Daddy's shoulders

Someone was a little tired after all of that running around!



After we managed to find our way out of the second corn maze, we played in the little kids’ area.  Dominic liked the toddler bouncy thing, but instead of jumping on it, he preferred to use it as a slide.  Everything is a slide to him these days!  Then we headed over to the petting zoo.  Dominic has been learning about animals at school, and we’ve definitely seen a peak in his interest in animals since then.  Between the zoo the day before and the petting zoo at Cagle’s, Dominic was in Heaven with all of these animals.  He loved petting the cow although I could’ve done without the nasty barn smell.  We waited around for the hayride (which took forever), but it was Dominic’s lunch time, and he about had it, so we had to leave a little early - well, actually on time.  



Playing in the kids' area 


Petting a baby cow!  Dominic loved this!


I’m really looking forward to going back next year and spending more time there if possible!!  I’m not exactly sure how that will work with BCM being about 9 or 10 months old, but I think Dominic will love it even more.  
The whole family on our fall family day 

No comments:

Post a Comment