Saturday, June 18, 2011

Young Toddler Summer Activities

With playgroups meeting less consistently as everyone’s schedules are more up-in-the-air during the summer, I’m trying to figure out what to do with Dominic.  There are so many fun activities to do over the summer with kids, but with a toddler as young as Dominic it’s a little trickier.  I’ve gotten numerous lists from friends and moms' groups with countless summer activities for kids, but they almost always are too old for a 1 year old.  If Dominic was a year older, they would be great, but he is still at a weird age where he isn’t old enough to do many things.  Another problem is that Atlanta is such a big city that a lot of the lists of for places 45 minutes from our house.  So I’ve made up my own list that is appropriate for “young toddlers” (basically 1 year olds) and are mainly in the Dunwoody-Sandy Springs-Roswell area or Atlanta. 

10 SUMMER ACTIVITIES FOR YOUNG TODDLERS:  

  1. Pool
This is going to be our biggest “thing to do” this summer.  It's a great place to go 
almost any day of the week to get out of the house and get some toddler   
energy out.  The experience is far from relaxing but definitely fun and  
entertaining.  Dominic loves the water and my goal is to start really teaching 
him to swim this summer. 

  1. Puppet Shows -  
M-Sa 10:00 – 10:30am in June and July
adults $5, under 2 free
Roswell Cultural Arts Center
Each week there will be different puppet shows for children (muchcheaper than the Center for Puppetry Arts), so we’re hoping to make it to at least a couple of these puppet shows especially since Dominic loves puppets these days.  

  1. Riverside Spraygrounds Splash Pad
$1 per person (over 1 year old) 
575 Riverside Road, Roswell, GA, 30075  770-594-6158
Fountains and lots of water for kids that toddlers will love to play in and splash  
around.  It sounds like a great way to “beat the heat.”

  1. Monkey Joe’s -
Under 2 free
700 Holcomb Bridge Rd. Suite 200  Roswell, GA 30076
Indoor iflatables to jump and climb on will be perfect in the heat of the summer. 

  1. Imagine It! Children’s Museum in Atlanta -  
M-F/10-4, Sat-Sun/10-5
Admission $12.50 (under 2 are free)
275 Centennial Park Drive Atlanta 30313
http://www.childrensmuseumatlanta.org/
A children’s museum for kids 8 and under.  I’m hoping to take Dominic.  Since it’s 
geared toward toddlers, I’m hopeful that at least some of the activities there will 
be appropriate for Dominic. 

  1. Centennial Olympic Park Water Sprays –
FREE for all ages
265 Park Ave West Atlanta 30313
Kids love the water sprays (think really cool sprinklers) especially on hot days.  
There is also the park’s playground and plenty of room for kids to run around on.  
It’s a great place for a picnic too. I’m thinking about doing this one in conjunction 
with the Children’s Museum since they’re right next door.

  1. Cagle’s Family Farm -  
          Ages 3 and up $7; Under 3 yrs Free
362 Stringer Rd., Canton, GA 30115 770.345.5591
Farm and dairy tours are great ways for kids to see animals.  You can also take a 
hayride and have a picnic while you’re there.  Dominic may be on the young side for 
this, so I’m not sure we’ll get to it this summer.

  1. Peachtree-DeKalb Airport Playground -
FREE for all ages
Clairmont Rd. near Buford Hwy. in Chamblee
www.pdkairport.org
Children can play on the aviation-themed playground while watching the many airplanes and helicopters landing and taking off from the airport.  You can bring your own picnic lunch or buy food at the Downwind Restaurant.  This is definitely something that Dad wants to be involved in.

  1. Zoo Atlanta -  
800 Cherokee Ave SE # A Atlanta 30315
www.zooatlanta.org
Lots of animals and lots of fun for kids.  Not sure a further explanation is needed.
          Checked this off of our "to do" list earlier this month.  Dominic thoroughly
          enjoyed the animals, but I might recommend at this point in the summer that due to 
          the heat this be an activity you save until September if you can.

  1. Georgia Aquarium  -
225 Baker St. NW Atlanta 30313
This one is great for the middle of the hot summer when you can’t stand to be outside for more than 2 minutes.  I’ve never taken Dominic but I can imagine that he will enjoy seeing the fish, penguins, and dolphins, while the parents love seeing the same things.  There’s also a big playground, but I’m not Dominic is quite old enough yet.  I’m sure he would love to see the other kids playing on it though.  Definitely a good one for parents.  



No comments:

Post a Comment