![]() |
| Dominic's had a tough week but is still smiling! |
It’s been another crazy week around the Mortons’. We’re done with swim class, and Dominic finally finished the round of antibiotics, so I thought things would die down a bit, but boy was wrong. Dominic's Ear Infection cleared up, so thankfully w're done with that at least. On Wednesday afternoon, Dominic and I went outside to play in the backyard since it was a beautiful day out. About an hour or so after we came in, I noticed that Dominic had what appeared to be bites all over his stomach and a few on his legs and neck. I put Ban deodorant on the bites as the pediatrician had told me to do at our last checkup. I carry it in Dominic’s diaper bag just in case Dominic ever gets bitten now.
| trying to get out of the sandbox, but probably being eaten by bugs! |
On Thursday night I noticed that the welts had gotten bigger, looked more like hives, and had spread. The next morning they were even worse, and he even had one on his eye lid and some on his forehead. Dominic seemed unaffected, continuing to be cheerful and happy. I was worried though and took him to the pediatrician. Brian didn’t think I should, but being the worried mom that I am I thought it was the best thing. We both wondered if it was because of Dominic’s new obsession with milk. I was really worried that Dominic may have a milk allergy since Brian had one when he was a baby.
The doctor said that it didn’t look like a milk allergy reaction, which was a huge relief. She thought it was either an allergic reaction to the bug(s) that had bitten him on Wednesday or perhaps a reaction to the antibiotics he was just on for his ear infection. The treatment for both possibilities was the same – Children’s Benadryl and Children’s Claritin. They gave him Benadryl at the office and told me to give him Claritin for the next couple of days. The hives ended up going away almost completely by Sunday.
On Thursday – after he had been attacked by the evil bug(s) the day before but before his allergic reaction really set in – Dominic and I took a little road trip up to Athens to visit my sister Stephanie, who is graduating from the University of Georgia in August. I have to admit I was a little nervous about the drive up there with Dominic. This was the first time he and I had driven that long (an hour) alone together. I had always had someone else traveling with us on long drives in the past, and even those had been challenging. This time we had a portable DVD player though, so Dominic got to watch his favorite DVD (Baby Einstein Head to Toe) half the way up there. It ended after 35 minutes and after that Dominic was a little fussy but not too bad.
| Having fun with Aunt Steph! |
Once we got up to Steph’s apartment, Dominic enjoyed playing around there, being silly with his godmommy, and getting into everything he could. Then the 3 of us were enjoying our meal at the Athens ’ landmark restaurant, the Blind Pig Tavern…when I got sick. I guess Baby #2 was not a fan of the food there, even though Dominic, Stephanie, and I enjoyed our lunch. We had plans to go walk around downtown Athens and take pictures of Dominic around town, but after getting sick, we just went back to Stephanie’s apartment and hung out until I felt better. Dominic played happily with his Aunt Steph the whole time we were there. That was actually amazing considering that he was long overdue for his nap. In fact, he didn’t nap until we were on the way home after 3:00 even though he usually naps at noon. I was very pleasantly surprised by this phenomenon. I’m sure it had to do with the fact that he was being entertained by his Aunt Steph. I think we may have to go on a return trip, so I can get some cute pictures of Dominic at the Arch and all.
Dominic had been doing so well, a nice difference from how my stomach was feeling, but 15 minutes into the trip home, the DVD player died, which Dominic was not happy about at all. I had to pull off on the side of 316 to try to fix it but discovered that the battery was dead, and we drove on. Dominic cried for a few minutes until he fell asleep, and thankfully slept for most of the rest of the way. He did wake up at the end and was a little fussy, but luckily we were close to home.
So between my sickness and Dominic’s hives, I was ready for things to settle down over the weekend and spend some family time together. We ended up getting to spend a lot of time together but unfortunately it was pretty miserable thanks to Dominic coming down with a 103.9 fever on Saturday evening. He hadn’t been eating or napping too well – 2 key signs that he was sick. Then his friend from playgroup came down with a fever of 102.2 that day, but since he hadn’t played with her in a several days I didn’t think that he could be sick too. I had attributed his lack of eating to the change in routine since Brian had fed Dominic his last few meals as a favor to me, and then I figured that because Dominic’s nap was disrupted by Brian doing some computer work with his friend in the dining room. That was all until Dominic became really fussy while we were eating dinner, and I noticed that he felt extremely warm. We took his temperature and discovered his high fever – the highest he’s ever had. Of course, we gave him some ibuprofen and kept taking his temperature the rest of the night. It was extremely scary. We even woke him up at 1:30 that night to give him another dose, so his temperature wouldn’t climb again while we were all sleeping.
Sunday morning Dominic’s temperature was back down to normal but started climbing again in the afternoon. He also got very upset when I had to get ready for a baby shower I was going to that afternoon. The minute I left him with Brian so I could take a shower until I got out and held Dominic, my poor, little boy cried and cried and cried. The bawling got on Brian’s last nerve, and I couldn’t bare to let him cry so much. When you’re sick, you just want your mom, and that seemed to be the only thing that made Dominic feel okay. I decided that I needed to stay home and miss the shower even though I had been really looking forward to it. My baby needed his mommy. On Monday, we reached a turning point. Dominic took a 4 hour nap (wow!!) and his temperature was back down to normal. Thank God!
To add to the fun of my week, Dominic's answer for everything is now, "No," with a shake of the head. Do you want some more food? No. (SHH). Do you want to take a nap? No. (SHH). Do you love Mommy? No. (SHH). When is he supposed to learn "Yes?" Brian and I are nodding and saying yes incessantly, hoping that gesture and word will stick with Dominic.
| Getting ready for his haircut, books in hand |
In other news, Dominic got his second haircut. Instead of going back to Pigtails and Crewcuts, I opted to take him to a Sports Clips near our house since I had a coupon, making it half the price. Brian didn't care about going to this one, so we were able to go in the morning on a weekday when nobody else was there. I was hoping the TVs (all showing ESPN) would capture Dominic's interest, but I also brought his beloved Leaptop and some books that he loves with buttons on the side that make noise. They worked for a few minutes each, but most of the haircut, Dominic spent crying. We tried having him sit on a booster seat in the salon chair at first, but he ended up having to sit on my lap facing me. I just wonder when Dominic will be able to sit through a haircut without any tears, but I have a feeling that won't be any time soon.
![]() |
| Looking like a little man after his 2nd haircut |
Pregnancy Update: Baby #2 is 11 weeks along now. I’m nearing the 2nd trimester!! My morning pregnancy sickness was HORRIBLE this past week especially at night. Dinner seemed to make it worse too. My food aversions and cravings were very bad too. Let's just say there were lots of dinners out last week. Thankfully, the last couple of days have been going MUCH better! I haven't been feeling as nauseous, and my energy level has been much higher. I've even cooked AND cleaned the house 2 days/nights in a row! When he got home from work, saw the floor and kitchen counters again, and smelled dinner cooking, I think Brian almost turned around and walked out of the house, thinking he had entered the wrong house. I'm hoping that I've turned a corner and am entering the "Honeymoon Period" of the pregnancy! Fingers crossed (and toes too)!!
| Happy to show off his new "I'm going to be a Big Brother" shirt :) |
Now I'm off to pack. Dominic and I are going with my parents and sister to Amelia Island again for a few days. Yes, after the last disastrous drive there and back, we're trying it again. Poor Brian opted not to join us because he's busy at work and wants to save up his sick/vacation days for when Baby #2 gets here. He actually told me that he would be mad at me if Dominic and I didn't go when my parents invited us. Brian's coming with us for sure in August though! I'm really hoping that things will go smoothly since Dominic is on one nap now ( = more beach time! ), I'm not pumping, we're bringing the portable DVD player for the drive there and back, and we're leaving at night so hopefully Dominic will sleep. I know that he will love being running around the beach even more than he did last time. :)


No comments:
Post a Comment